FWMQG May 2016 Meeting Recap
Our meeting this month was led by Jenn Haxton, our guild Treasurer. She did a great job filling in for Ann, who was in a car accident. Ann is doing good. She has rehab ahead of her with her knee and whiplash. If you get a chance, send her a text or give her a call. She is not driving and is bored!
Jenn got us started with calling the meeting to order. Gayla introduced the guests. Welcome guests! The new VP of Communications, Jeanne Lobsinger, was introduced and then came the game of “Pick the Workshop!” We had four projects of Jacquie Gering’s to choose from, and after much debate and talk about how just being in one of her workshops will blow your mind, we chose the Log Cabin – Modern Makeover.
If you have not signed up for the workshop, and you want to take it or just be in the same room with quilty knowledge, be sure to sign up and pay your $40.00 deposit by June 1, 2016 to Jenn Haxton.
We were fortunate to have two members who went to QuiltCon West 2016 in April. Lazara Abernathy and Debi Bright shared their experience with us. Lazara gave us pointers on when to sign up and how to navigate the show. Debi brought many fabrics she screen printed in a workshop. Thank you for sharing. QuiltCon East 2017 is in Savannah, Georgia, February 23-26, 2017. The schedule will be announced June 1, 2016.
A new guild challenge was introduced. TRIANGLES!! Make a name tag, a mini quilt, or a triangle border for your medallion. No HST’s. This will be due at the August’s meeting.
We had several members show the progress on their medallion quilts.
It was great looking around and seeing so many members bringing handwork to meeting. Busy hands…
For convenience, included is the General Information that was printed on the back of the Agendas. It has been updated to reflect current information.
- Pillow cases to ACH Goal: 150 To Date: 148
- Nap Mats to Transforming Women’s Lives Goal: 100 To Date: 33 24”x36” – ish, 36”x48” – ish, or 24”x48” – ish
- June Meeting: Presentation by Mettler Threads
- July Meeting: Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studio will give a trunk show and lecture Thursday. Log Cabin – Modern Makeover Workshop on Friday July 22nd will cost $100 and take place at Pleasant Ridge Church of Christ, 6102 W. Pleasant Ridge Rd, Arlington 76016. Payments to Jenn Haxton. Supply list to be emailed.
- August Meeting: Skills demonstration and Triangle Challenge is Due
- October Meeting: Melissa Eubanks of My Fabric Relish will give a lecture on October 20th. Prickly Flower Quilt Workshop will be on Saturday October 22nd at Sew Fabricated. Sign ups start in May.
- November Meeting: ”Color Theory” presented by Martha Sheriff
- June 20-23rd 3 nights – Our House in Milford, 1077 Cosby Road, Milford 76670. Arrive 1pm, leave after brunch. Total: $254.40 $50 deposit to FWMQG, remainder paid to Milford House on arrival, includes meals Dinner Monday to Brunch Thursday
- September 8-10th Day Retreat at Pleasant Ridge Church of Christ, 6102 W. Pleasant Ridge Rd, Arlington 76016. 9am-6pm any or all days. We can leave our sewing machines set up, sleep at home, have potluck meals or go out. Cost: $40 for 3 days.
- Block Printing: Friday, June 3rd, 10am-2pm at Sew Fabricated
- Slow – Stitch Saturday: CANCELLED FOR MAY
- Sewcials: 4th Monday – May 23rd, 5 – 8pm 2nd Saturday – June 11th, 9am – 1pm
The Fire Station Community Center, 1601 Lipscomb St, Fort Worth 76104
- Quilt Exhibit at Ontario Museum of Art and History in California: Theme: Modern Quilts: Redesigning Traditions, December 1-January 22, 2017 Entry deadline: June 15, 2016 Contact email@example.com for applications and information.
Please join us at our next guild meeting on June 16th. Come at 6:30 to get to know your fellow members and greet new members and guests. Meeting starts at 7:00.
Have a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend!